Tuesday 28 July 2015

Coronation Cup At Guards Polo Club

It's been a while since my last entry, so where to begin really..i'm not even sure if I want to relive my Saturday morning!

I woke up all excited to be taking my first proper trip to Guards to watch the Coronation Cup no less. All was going smoothly until I got to Steph's and was promptly muddy paw printed by Marley! Not that I was angry at all, she was just so excited to see me but I now had two brown paw prints on an otherwise very white top. Thankfully I am an over packer and had put a spare top in in case it got hot that afternoon. Apparently it pays to be prepared people!

Running slightly late we set off and hoped to stop briefly at my parents to pick up a cake my lovely mother had made (she really does make the best cakes though) only to get stuck in traffic getting there and leaving! "Never mind" I thought, we were through so lets get on the motorway and get going! Well that didn't happen...

Not 5 minutes onto the motorway and we got stuck in traffic again. Traffic was going to be theme of our day it would seem.. So we sat and crawled along waiting for the road to clear and pick up some speed, and luckily after a short while we were moving again and made it down to the M25, only to get half way there and get stuck in.. more traffic! 
Well I won't go on about how long we spent sitting about but we finally got to Guards at 2.30pm!

It really was a relief to finally get to Guards and drive through the lovely scenery. After a brief faff we found Carl and the Harris' and sat down to a lovely picnic very kindly organised by Joanna! Thanks so much Jo, you're a star!

After filling up with food and drink we made our way to the South Grandstand to find our seats and get comfortable for the England vs South America match to see who would win the Coronation Cup!
From my understanding, England hadn't won the cup in quite some time so I was intrigued to see how England would fair. Plus it was the first time I've watched high goal polo in person so was really quite excited to see how different it was to what I had got used to.


The sun came out, the pitch was a spotless green sea of perfectly cut grass and just looked amazing. A wonderful band played the national anthem while all spectators were asked to stand in respect. The players then came out and were announced over the commentary loud speakers to a lot of applause from the crowd!
The horses looked amazing, the players in the top equipment and we're raring to go.

Unlike low and medium goal matches these high goal matches were 6 chukkas long and not 4 but still remaind 7 minutes long and boy were they quick! 
The players often change horses every 3 or 4 minutes per chukka onto a fresh horse they're that fast paced. You'll see this from the photos below of these gorgeous horses stretching while going flat out!







England were off to a storming lead within the 1st chukka with 2 goals to South Americas 0 so that was encouraging.
After the 3rd chukka England had extended their lead even more so, when the buzzer went to signify the end of the chukka and everyone was invited onto the pitch to tread in the divots, as per tradition. 
After a minute or two Lucy and Emily were approached by a camera crew to do an interview. Somehow I got thrust in front of the camera to 'wing it' and be filmed answering questions about my day!
I answering some questions about who I was there with - to which I replied my friends and their team, so was bombarded with questions about where Jakeira are based and what we'd been up to! As casually as I could muster I answered their questions and after thanking me I could make my way back to my seat without saying the wrong thing. Apparently it'll be on the La Martina website but that remains to be seen!

Fourth Chukkas started and England were back with renewed vigor, and scored another lot of goals bringing their lead even higher. The further 2 chukkas whizzed by and South America just didn't seem on form being unable to put t he ball between the goal posts. They were subsequently beaten by England 10 goals to their 6. England cantered off to roars from the crowd and a long round of applause. It was nice to see England win at my first ever trip to Guards!

I must say how nice it was to have lot's of information and attention drawn to the Retrained Racehorses that were now high goal polo ponies and showing those who aren't so knowledgeable about horse or polo that these wonderful thoroughbreds can do another job after they've been retired from racing. Stickers we're put on their flanks so when watching they were easily distinguished against the non ROR's which was really nice to be able to spot them from afar! More needs to be done to draw attention to them so it was really nice I thought.




With the La Martina shop just round the corner and just to tempting to resist a group of us made our way in to have a spot of (window) shopping. Francis tried on new helmets, while Sam longed over some new boots with protective outsides while I wondered around in amazement. Everything was so beautifully presented with racks of saddles on the walls, cabinets full of helmets, the smell of beautiful soft leather wafted towards me from various bags, boots and tack making me long to own a string of polo ponies and actually be able to play! Maybe one day aye?



After a little trip to the shopping tents and a few little purchases later we made our way back to the cars to polish off the picnic, desserts and some more drinks all while sitting out in the sun enjoying the music and the surroundings.
After everyone was full to bursting point we packed up for the drive home, praying it was shorter than the journey there! The sun started to set and back onto the motorways.
In my wing mirror I spot Carl's range rover gaining speed to over take me, only to look over to see Liam mooning us! What a hilarious way to end a day of mixed emotions

Next time I'll make sure we leave in plenty of time and pray that Guards won't put the Coronation Cup on the same day as the kids break up from school, Ascot have a huge race meeting up the road and Legoland (which is within a 10 minute drive from Guards) is full to bursting point with the aforementioned kids now on their school holidays!

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment