Thursday 3 December 2015

Tattersalls December Sales - My First Experience with Mares and Foals

I've been at the Tattersalls December sales for the last couple of weeks and I must say now, just how much I enjoyed it!

First was the foal sales - I've never really had any contact with foals before, except when I was a really young child and the mare we were looking after was pregnant and had her foal, Choco, while being stabled at ours. He wasn't like these foals though as was absolutely spoilt and was probably over handled and basically thought he was a dog! I was about 8 years old or younger and don't really remember it (that's probably due to falling off a lot when I was a kid).

So when I arrived at 6.30 on Tuesday I basically wasn't sure what to expect or what I had to do! Luckily I had some really lovely people show me, and for that I am incredibly grateful. They didn't shout at me and really beared with me while I learnt what I needed to do. As expected for little baby horses they're rather jumpy, need lot's of reassurance and everything done a lot more slowly and quietly.

I learned how to groom them, handle them and even show them off for the sales, although probably best I didn't actually show them as it would have been rather embarrassing if I'd messed up!
But I can say I now know how to bridle a baby foal, and how to handle one. I've also been very lucky that a lot of them were very cuddly and sleepy so I got lot's of cuddles and interaction with them.

I must also note that, and i'm not sure if this is because they're still quite young but the colts were actually a lot better behaved than the filly's. And I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting that at all..

The colts were the absolute stars, allowing anything to be done to them and happy to be taken out, brushed and groomed, and fine with you walking in their stables to top of hay and water while laying down.
The fillies on the other hand were so sassy! I nearly got bitten by a filly who did not want to be groomed, lucky I move quickly aye! They were also a bit anxious about being tacked up and walked out too but I suppose they all have different personalities. Maybe these quirky fillies will make excellent racehorses because of how they are? Or perhaps they'll grow out of it.. I'll never know, sadly!

Any way, here are lot's of photos that I took over the past two days and thoroughly enjoyed myself.























Bloodstock Sales - 

A couple of days off after the foals sales I was back on my feet again on Saturday and Sunday for Tweenhills gaining some more experience and helping out on the yard and learning to show.
With the base being at the Terrace House yard and every single box being full it was was pretty full on. 
I awoke to a chilly Saturday to arrive at 6am to spin out and get learning. 
I walked about a couple of really nice fillies, Glass House and Bear Cheek who were very well behaved and gave me confidence.
The rest of the day was spent learning and getting ready for a busy Sunday.
To which it was extremely busy! Non stop basically, from 6am til 4.30pm.. 
I also like to keep busy and not sit around while I could be working so I regularly checked the horses for hay and water, fluffed beds and swept the yard. 
I also had the most amazing experience that, when grooming a very pregnant made, I put my hand in her belly and her foal must have felt it as it kicked and kicked away and being really active. It was really magical actually as I've felt a baby in my sisters womb, but never a baby horse growing in it's mums womb. It absolutely made my day!

I then had another couple of free days before I was back on Wednesay and Thursday for Eclipse Bloodstock  

It's been a really good experience handling and getting to know different types mares with different personalities. Some being sharper than others, while a couple just couldn't give two hoots.
I've also got to be more hands on with grooming and showing which has done me good for my confidence and my skills. 
How to properly show horses at Tatts Sales is different to normal show ring showing, where you'd stand your horse square at the front but have the offside hind stepping slightly in front so the judge can access. While at the sales you show by standing the horse with it's near side fore and the offside hind slightly in front of the other legs so the potential purchaser can see all of their legs from one side. 

The mares and fillies have all been so well behaved and I'm pleased with how I did. I even got to take two of the mares through the ring. The first being the gorgeous mare Go Glamorous which is in foal to Stimulator and second was Cypress Point who is in foal to Mazameer. It was a wonderful, if not slightly nerve wracking experience as I've so used to viewing the ring from the outside rather than the inside and you're very aware of all eyes are on you, the horse you're leading and what you're doing. 
I wanted to make sure I smiled while walking through rather than just being so focuses on what I was doing that I looked deadly serious. It also looks much nicer to smile! 










I must say thank you to Red at Eclipse Bloodstock for giving me the opportunity, to all the Eclipse staff who helped me and taught me what I needed to do, and to the new friends I've made.

Until next time,

Soph x

No comments:

Post a Comment