Wednesday 6 March 2019

2 weeks of Fred!

Ah where do I start! Freddie has been with me for 2 weeks now and we've actually done rather a lot in that time! 
Since my last post where Fred had settled in and also had his teeth checked and rasped, as well as being wormed, well he's now had a full set of shoes on, had a physio session and started his proper walk work regime! A lot huh!

Our wonderful farrier Chris has been out to firstly put a front set of shoes on and then a week later he was back at the yard so Mum and I decided to put back shoes on as we're doing quite a lot of road work.
Our wonderful physio Alex also came out on Tuesday to give Freddie a once over and sort any problems; turns out there were multiple..
Freddie had a misaligned sacroiliac joint which in turn was making his gluteal muscles to spasm which is why he was sensitive about having his bum brushed. After a quick realign Alex worked on his sore withers and also popped just about every major joint. About an hour later he was all popped out and feeling much more relaxed. He even didn't mind his bum being brushed anymore!
The morning after he was feeling a little stiff so I walked him out to loosen him off, I also did this Thursday and Friday mornings and he really started walking well.
I also got my saddle back from being fixed so I could finally use it! So last weekend I put the saddle on and walked him round the school and he didn't seem to care at all. 
I had been told that in training he got a bit cold backed and to walk him on the walker before working him but after his physio session I think he was just sore and in pain before, and now that he's not then we're having no problems!

I've now been upping our walk work and have been taking him out in hand for a good 2 or 3 miles depending on which way I go and he's been loving going out and seeing the surrounding areas to the yard. He just loves to look and take in everything that is going on! I can tell he's been really enjoying it cause he walks so exuberantly I have to power walk to keep up! Boy can't half walk let's just say that!
I've also started running in the evenings as and when I can and that's been really fun and rewarding actually. I am fitter than I thought so it's been really nice for Freddie and I to do our fitness regime together! #FitForFreddie!

As well as walking out in hand we also have walked him slowly on the lunge and he took that all in his stride, no bucking or silliness. He's just so chilled! He's responding well to vocal commands also such as woo-hoo to slow down and/or stop, Stand, Walk On etc which I feel it really important for retraining not only for lunging but also for when I do start riding. He definitely knows my voice, which I absolutely love.

Overall I am super impressed with his progress for far, he's already looking so much better! His body obviously feels better as his bottom is no longer as concave and is filling out and he's really pushing himself when he walks instead of dragging with his front end. That bum is also really swinging so his back feels nice and loose. 

So where now! This week we'll obviously just keep up his walk work in hand and maybe take longer ride routes so he can really get used to his new surroundings. And work is good work! 


 He knows he's cute!
 "Thank you for my rug Sophie M" - Freddie
 He may have a baby face but he's hardly small! I'm 5'11"
Bums! One gaining in size and one reducing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment