Monday 8 April 2019

Week 7!

This won't be a super long post as we've had quite a quiet week this week!

We're still very much working on what works for Freddie in his retraining and what he's not so keen on at the moment. For example on Friday I had my second attempt at a solo hack after last time where he got very frightened at a removals van and we ended up in a farmers field with me on my back being dragged along! 
It went well, although Fred definitely is a lot more nervous going out alone with a rider on board than he is when I take him out alone in hand. He obviously get's a lot of confidence from me as he doesn't spook or get 'looky' at anything with me when we walk out, but when I am on board he is rather tense and does definitely look at pretty much everything but that is because I think he doesn't have this 'pack leader' with him on the ground and feels more vulnerable so it's something I am going to work on. He doesn't do anything silly but is not relaxing. 
While that isn't surprising as he's very likely never hacked out by himself before. 

Earlier this week Georgie got on first and did some schooling on him, and we switched half way through and I finished. He is definitely learning to now use his body in a different way and is responding very well to that. He's also listening very well to aids and understanding more of what we're asking him with those aids so I am really pleased with his progress there.
We're also definitely working on slowing everything down, he's so used to being mounted and then rushing off fast, which I know if obviously what he's used to, so all about walking about and slowing that work into active walk, rather than power walking everywhere at speed! Same with trotting, we're instilling into him to work slower and push rather than hollow and whizz everywhere in trot. It's going well and he's trying hard, especially on rides out where he's obviously enjoying himself and get very exuberant in this speed and paces. 

Sunday Georgie and I also went out for a ride together and went on one of our longer rides and Fred absolutely loved it, very happy to be out with his pal Beanie and seeing a new route he hasn't done before. He's a very smart horse who can get bored of the same routes so I have to keep it different and his mind busy. He's like a smart toddler that doesn't like doing the same thing all the time!
He's going in to water no problem and is also enjoying splashing and pouring in the water so that's made me really happy as water is often a big deal for horses and an area people have trouble with so hopefully I've set the foundations to not find water scary.



Following on from what I said about about him being looky, I have also been doing some 'desensitisation training' with Fred and it's going well. We've been doing it in the school, in hand and with plants in pots, cones, bright coloured plastic markers and a tarp on the ground with flaps in the wind. 
Obviously the tarp was the thing that Fred looked at most but by the end of the session I was able to pick it up and flap it, rub it over his body and throw it in the air and he was no longer fazed by it so I am certainly going to keep that up. 

I've actually haven't taken many photos this week, it's been a busy time but I will make sure I take some more. I've been making sure to keep my hands on the reins lol!

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment