Saturday 3 October 2015

Hound Exercise 1 of 2 with the Cambridge University Drag Hounds

After last weeks 12 mile ride, I've finally been able to regain full mobility in all of my limbs. I'd be lying to say I wasn't waddling around the office like John Wayne on Monday, cause I absolutely was and for a couple of days too. Stiff as a board I was, but finally I can ride again and will no doubt be just as stiff again come Monday.

At the moment I've been so very kindly lent quite a few horses to ride. One of these is Monkey, so I must say a big thank you to Sophie and Henry from the Cambridge University Drag Hounds who very kindly lent me Monkey for today's Hound  exercise.
Sophie messaged me about a week and a half ago and asked me if I'd like to ride Monkey for the first hound exercise of the season, and of course I jumped at the chance. 
Sophie has been so very supportive in my quest to borrow or hire horses for previous meets so lending me her beast that is the large bay gelding, Monkey.
Monkey by name, monkey by nature. I mean just look at that cheeky face!



I spent Saturday doing a whole lot of nothing, but did muster enough motivation to polish my boots and get my shir and jacket in a bag ready to be up early Sunday morning.

With my car loaded and sat nav set I made my way to the Fox and Hounds in Great Gidding, just outside of Huntingdon. 
I arrived with plenty of time to spare, so I brushed Monkey, tacked up and got myself ready.
The weather was rather foggy and chilly when I left so I decided on a long sleeve with a shirt over the top and my jacket.
Well just after we set off I started to regret the long sleeve tshirt underneith, I was boiling.
As the sun was out and it was lovely and warm, with it draw out a really large crowd! Lots of people in the car park ready to set off. So nice to see a good turn out and everyone looking so smartly turned out!






With the hounds now ready to go we set off at a fast trot up the road. Not wanting to upset Monkey I slotted him up front where he usually is, last thing I wanted was to fall off cause I made him wait!

But he was a gentleman, trotting beautifully along, no trouble at all.
I have a soft spot for him anyway as he's such a character but today I fell in love with him even more. He's such a quirky lad! He was a gentleman to get ready and tack up. 

I'd say we probably covered a good few miles, 10 or so I'd estimate, but we were in the middle of nowhere and I having no bearing on where we were so god knows really. 
Maybe next time I'll put my app on to track our route.



The quiet of the countryside was so nice, amplifying the sound of hooves on the pavement.
2 hours of intense trotting later we finally made our way back into Great Gidding.




I could have drunk a gallon of water I was so thirsty but very kindly had Monkey taken off me to untack and cool off so I could finally get my jacket off and cool down!




With a refreshing couple of glasses of water later I finally felt a bit more human, if not a little bit of jelly legs!
Ever the kind hosts I headed across the road to the beautiful garden for a well earned bacon butty and a glass of ice cold Coke to sit in the sun.

Finally after a few while later and some calories later I regained the feeling of being human again, and with my legs worked properly again I packed up my car of boots, whip, jacket, shirt, hat and tie to head off home for a well earned rest!

I can't wait for next weekend now! Looking forward to it.. 

Sophie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment