Sunday 25 October 2015

Sit back and slide your reins - Scully the V8 Supercob

Now that the season is well and truly here and Autumn has set it, it was the very last hound exercise at Great Gidding, before the opening meet next weekend.
I got to pilot the Supercob again today, Scully. Yes, as in X-files Mulder and Scully. Whether he's named after Gillian Andersons character, Dana Scully I do not know!

What I do know is that I LOVED today. Really loved it. I've never actually ridden a cob before, so when I got on last weekend I didn't actually know what to except. At the end of last weeks exercise Tony did mention that he could jump. But from what I've seen of other cobs jumping (massive generalisation here) I wasn't overly optimistic. I mean we've seen Ben Hobdays 4 star eventer Mr Mulry fly round Burghley, but he's crossed with some awesome eventer I'd guess. So it remained to be seen just how I got on..

Any way, back to today. I arrived to see Scully had a clip, oh my gosh he looked adorable and Tara had very kindly already tacked him up for me, so he looked seriously smart. I felt like I should be stepping into the show ring he was so white!



He seemed very keen today, trotted off out of Fox and Hounds with such exuberance I overtook Sophie, the Field Master, and made 'that' faux par (meaning it is extremely frowned upon in Hunting tradition to overtake the Field Master, it's just not done so take note so you can avoid doing so in the future. So, slap on the wrist for me!) But I quickly slowed down and re-positioned myself after apologising profusely! With quite a large turn out today it was so awesome to hear so many sets of hooves trotting up the road. 

Not long after starting we turned off road onto a slip of grass, and in his exuberant fashion automatically started to canter. No trot, but a beautiful collected, head in 'I should be in the show ring' canter. I didn't want to stop really!
Like me, the rest of the field were all smiles. We even had a little-un on her pony trotting and cantering with us. So so cute! I can't wait until Frankie gets to that stage (and I don't think it will be long now!)

Our first canter was quite a bit faster than last weeks, where I got overtaken by everyone! The Supercob had been cubbing the day before I rode him last week so I think he was still re-energising the next day so was speedy but in control. Today though, well, we set off and he was fresh! So fresh in fact that when I wouldn't let him kick up a gear, a few choice bucks were put in to tell me how much of a spoil sport I was being!
But being a sensible human I knew that where we were cantering was very clay-ie, wet and slippery so Scully thanked me a bit further down when we slipped a little bit, thankfully remained upright though! He went a bit steadier then, I did try and tell him!

About two thirds into the hound exercise I was beckoned up front to be the lead horse and lead for the rest of the pack over the jumps. Now... I'd be lying if I said I didn't start getting enormous butterflies in my stomache. I mean, I've jumped some cross country fences on B recently, and popped Misty over a couple of little logs or two on our Thurlow ride, but I'm a little rusty, but as we trotted alongside a field I was shown a 2'6" post and rails to jump. 'Cool' I though, I can jump that fine, although never seeing Scully jump I just pointed him at it kicked on and over we went. 
Scully to the rescue after Sam joined the tumblers club when the coloured pony he was on bronked after landing and they parted ways. In all fairness I don't think many people would have sat those bucks, not after the awkward jump over into the field.
But with a broken rein and a run away horse I figured I'd better try and rescue it!
The rest of the pack now over the fence and Sam back on Freddie, those butterflies started flapping inside at what lay ahead. 

There was an almighty hedge in front of me, and with a ditch in front no less. 
Going first, I just had to kick on and hope for the best! Which is exactly what I did and Scully engaged his hidden V8 engine and jumped it like a stag. So much so I had to sit back and slide my reins! (My inner childhood Mary King was proud of me for not jagging him in the mouth)
It felt AMAZING! And yes that does require caps lock, it helps me convey how good it felt. Although breaking afterwards was fun as Scully knew there was a hedge on the other side of the field we were in and had locked on!
But with the rest of the pack now over, I reengaged the supercob, and kicked on to the other hedge. This one was minus the ditch, but was rather a bit bigger. Scully, ears pricked, sailed over it once again. That horse is a champ, he just doesn't jump like a cob! He's a eventer in a cobs body, he really is!
Then onward towards another post and rails, a nice full up 3'0" or so, he yet again flew over no problem. With my confidence growing the butterflies flew away! I'd not jumped hedges or fences this big in a very long time. But, like riding a bike, I hadn't forgotten how to jump! 

With jumping now over with, we had a brief few canters while on the way back to the yard. Horses well and truly happy! Every one of them ears pricked, dirty but happy. 

Supercob all tuckered out, snuggled up in his stable! 

Back at the yard and with all the horses washed off Sophie, Ginny and I headed over to the tack shop across the road - Somersby House who were having an open day event today so we had a look round. I figured that my riding hat was smelly and old and I could do with a new one so I treated myself to a Champion jockey skull cap. I have little 57cm head which is advantageous as no VAT, thumbs up to little perks.

I'm now home, with the washing machine on washing all my mud splattered kit ready for next time, when ever that will be! 

Thank you as always to The Cambridge University Drag Hounds - Henry for lending me the Supercob, Tara and Sam for tacking him up and Tony and Ginny for taking us all out, as well as Sophie for being a wonderful and entertaining field master! 
Opening meet is next week at Manor Farm in Stretham. Link to the meet card here. 

Now for Horses in Training Sale at Tattersalls this week, wish me luck! I'll probably need it!!

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment