Sunday 11 October 2015

Sunday fun day, Hound exercise 2 of 2!

Where to start, it's been such a whirl wind day. Well, much like last weekend it was a beautiful sunny day, if not slightly cooler but I am not complaining - It was very warm last weekend.





I was running late this morning after an unexpected turn of events that I won't go into, but I arrived to find Monkey already tacked up for me. So without wasting time I got myself ready and jumped on ready to go.



With the field a bit smaller this week we were all ready to set off, so at a brisk trot a pack of about 7, including me, set off up the hill in Great Gidding.
With a lot less road work this time we soon got on to beautiful set aside and into the most breath taking scenery. It's absolutely beautiful over in sticks. Sadly I couldn't take my phone out for a photo but think rolling hills, beautiful trees in all shades of orange and birds tweeting all around



Lots of trotting through, what felt like Jane Austin country, both horses and hounds were warmed up so we braced ourselves and had a canter. Monkey was an absolute angel and didn't try and tank off with me which is nice, we strided away to enjoy it. He really is such a good boy! 

Not long after we encountered a small ditch. Very much in Monkey style he jumped more into the the bottom of it than over it but it's not about style, it's how you get over it, right?


After about an hour we made our way back to the Fox & Hounds to put the horses away and wash them off. Monkey felt he wasn't done though, as the adrenalin was still running by the looks of his quivering flanks. He loves his job a little too much It would seem!?

Back in his bed he had a lovely roll and snuggle up. Erm, got a bit of straw on your face there mate.. 


A lovely sausage sarnie and drinks were awaiting us in the garden, once all that tack and equipment was put away of course. So generous of Henry! I'd happily do this every weekend.
I now have to give Monkey back to Sophie, I hope I've looked after him well?! 
He is a truely lovely lad and has given me a lovely couple of weekends.

Thank you to Tara, Sam and Ginny for tacking him up and looking after me. The Cambridge University Drag Hounds, what a lovely group of people, I'd highly recommend you go out with them if you can! 

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment