Sunday 15 November 2015

Sophies foot following adventures!

Gosh, today has been no rest for the wicked! I'm not sure where to even start!

I wasn't riding today so I was back to being a foot follower with the Drag for their Great Gidding meet. I arrived early to help and hang out with my friends before everyone arrived. I must admit I was jealous to see everyone looking so smart in their jackets and ready for the meet, I want to wear my new jacket!

I put myself to use being the 'glamorous port waitress' - it's not going to serve itself! Not long the car park filled up very quickly with a rather large field and the excited conversation buzz could be heard. Kudos to everyone as they and their horses looked extremely smart! 

In no time at all the hounds were ready to be bought out, Sophie did her all important field master speech for the field so everyone was ready to go. I jumped in the car with Henry, Sam, Sam Pawley and a couple of others ready to whizz around the countryside to watch. 
The field successfully tackled the first few gallops and jumps, so it was time for a quick breather for the horses and hounds.
Soon after that the first inductee to the Cambridge University Drag Hounds Tumblers club was seen, with Jodie making an exit off her lovely ex race horse after a short stride was out in and unbalancing followed. Sam and I straight over to offer assistance and much to her credit was up in no time a bit sore but back on! Well done to you madame! 




Hoping for a good view of the second set of jumps I made my way up the hill to position myself ready, in front of me was a 3 foot or so post and rails all the horses were going to jump, well note to self, I can jump but i'm no eventer and tend to leave a leg behind over a 3 foot post and rails! Luckily I managed to avoid falling flat on my face as that would have been rather embarrassing! I'll stick to climbing up and over them next time I think! With all the field safely over Sam and I were dropped back at the yard as Henry needed his car, so quickly jumping in another car we high tailed it down to carry on watching. And so it began our hilarious adventures as foot followers.




With Destiny the hound deciding that any direction but the direction the entire rest of the pack was going was a good idea Sam was sent off to retrieve her. Which hilariously involved the rather undignified carrying of a fully grown, rather pungent hound back to the pack. I wish I was quick enough to get a photo cause I was crying with laughter at Sam attempting to run down the road with her!

He got back in the car and was... smelling 'interesting' (if you've smelt a pack of fox hounds you'll know what I mean) now, I whizzed by the yard and Sam thought it was a good idea to throw his smelly jumper back into the yard, but perhaps I didn't slow down enough or with just hilarious bad luck Sam managed to throw his jumper directly into a smelly muddy puddle. I'm actually sat here laughing to myself at the memory! Sorry Sam, i'm laughing with (at) you!

Now back up the country lanes I thought I was in for watching a wonderful days hunting, but alas another was inducted spectacularly into the tumblers club with a rather nasty rotational fall sent us running full speed across the field to help. That is generally where my day ended while being on the phone to the emergency services for an ambulance and waiting for it to arrive while trying to first aid. Well done to those who stayed with Emily and kept so calm and kept her warm and looked after until the ambulance arrived. 
I'm also so glad that the gorgeous Scully is OK also, what a genuine little darling he is!

Everyone rode so well today and so very well done to everyone! Thank you to The Drag pack and it's crew and Barbara for a lovely post hunt feast!




Here's a little video of what footage I managed to catch today




Now to get ready for Horseheath next weekend and praying to the drag hunt gods I can ride! Cause boy after this week do I need it!

Over and out x 

No comments:

Post a Comment