Thursday 22 January 2015

Beaglers! My new one and some advice if looking to buy one

My new Beagler. Temporary Aspinal bag so it doesn't get ruined. My favourite gloves ever, the Chester Jeffreys roper and my show cane made by my lovely Dad back when I showed as a child!


Late year when I knew i'd have to be entering the ring a lot to groom and strip Beanie for the judges I bought a beagler. Rushed as I hadn't had a riding hat on for years, but measuring my head came out as 59cm or in riding hat sizes a 7 1/4.

I had a look round and found the Charles Owen Beagler and the Beagler Classic. But without having £155 odd quid to fork out I kept looking and stumbled upon the gatehouse Beagler.
Yes, Gatehouse do one too!

We I purchased one and soon dawned on me that despite me measuring my head I did in fact need a 7 1/8 but just did not have time to get a different one so padded it up and got on with it.
Old faithful did me well but decided that I needed to sell it to someone it would actually fit and not near slip off my head in the ring. God, how embarrassing would that have been!

So I went on a fact finding mission and with the help of a few purchase reviews on the internet and the help of the Equifest group users i've decided that I needed a Beagler, not a Beagler classic.

I put some feelers out in a few groups asking if anyone had a used but in good condition navy 7 1/8 Beagler and much to my surprise almost immediately I got reply from a lady down the road saying she had her old showing one that she used a handful of times and she'd like to sell it to me.
So I paid my money and it arrived and my god I love it! It is perfect! It fits perfectly and is no way going to fall off my head. Georgie is the same size so can borrow it for in-hand showing, win win!

My advice for anyone looking to buy a hat, beagler style or not, always try it on first!
I'd read reviews online and asked owners if theirs came up small or large or were an odd shape! It's always good to do some investigation before forking out for a new hat. Don't do what I did and get one that doesn't fit and you don't have time to get a replacement!
The Charles Owen Beagler Classic does fit in a completely different way to a Beagler so if you've read this and are thinking of getting one, try and ask your local saddlery if they can get a couple in for you to try or ask around and see if any of your friends at the yard etc have one you can try on!

No comments:

Post a Comment