Monday 8 October 2018

Soggy Side Saddle and Eventer Trials

Why is it that in the week when we're stuck at work in the office that it's glorious sunshine and warm and then come the weekend it's wet and cold? Oh that's because it's sods law of course, and because it's autumn too!

We've had a beautiful couple of weeks with dry warm weather but Saturday came and the forecast showed as a thoroughly miserable day of basically rain all day with it only getting more rainy as the day progressed. Great, just what I wanted for hosting beautiful elegant side saddle lessons with the regions RoR's and Georgie had an eventer trial at Keysoe! 

I started the day dry with the Side Saddle lessons and can say they went fantastically! I had never ridden side saddle nor had I hosted these lessons before so was nervous but excited for the day. We were all in the extremely knowledgeable hands of Clare Simper, Side Saddle Association certified instructor. Having ridden side saddle for 25 years and having just got her own RoR to introduce to side saddle I was confident she was the best person for the job and it seems that I was very much correct, phew!

Our lessons were for a full hour and included Clare fitting the side saddles to fit the range of sizes and shapes of RoR's who attended and they ranged from 5 to 21 years old which is absolutely awesome. Sadly as the day went on the weather man was indeed correct and the rain became heavier and more 'driving' in it's deluge so that anyone stood outside for more than 5 minutes became positively drenched. Everyone however soldered on like troopers and absolutely aced their lessons and their horses did too! 
Each of them took it completely in their stride and didn't bat an eye lid at their riders all now sitting to their left and not straight ahead like they're used to!

Clare taught each person individually and watched them warm in astride to see what she'd need to teach them on and I can say she was absolutely fabulous. All riders said how much they enjoyed it and I was thoroughly impressed with all of the RoR's in how they coped so easily like it was any other lesson. I will certainly be holding another date in the future soon. 








After getting thoroughly soaked I made my way down the yard to make sure my horse was all tucked up in bed out of the rain, all the while Georgie was at Keysoe getting equally if not more soaked!

As readers of last weeks blog will know we were showing in the beautiful sunshine so this was not only a stark contrast to that with not only the weather but jumping and big jumps too!
Georgie had booked in to do the 100cm open class at Keysoe before I had announced the side saddle lessons which meant I was sadly unable to attend both but Mum and Georgie loaded up B and made their way there. From what I understand it was an extremely busy competition and Georgie was given her time for her round as 4.30pm! Upon arrival Georgie went to walk the course of both the show jumping and cross country and from what Georgie said it was a very full up 100cm course for both disciplines. In her words "I got out the car and saw the show jumping course and gulped" so while Georgie went off and walked the course Mum looked after Beanie in the rain, what a wonderful Mum we have!

With her start time fast approaching Georgie was dressed and ready for her class. In the warm up B had had some silly poles down in the collecting ring so they bother made their way in to the ring hoping the knocked poles stayed in the collecting ring. The show jumping course had been a cause of problems for many all afternoon it's poles and stops aplenty but Georgie said B got going and positively sailed round the course clear! She breathed a small sigh of relief after landing and making her way on to the course for the full up and technical cross country faze but in true style B whizzed round it with no problem at all and Georgie crossed the finishing line on a superb double clear. 
I rang and checked in not long after and Georgie was absolutely over the moon with how he went so I was extremely stoked for Georgie to call and tell me later that evening that she had won! 



Wahoo! From prancing round the show ring the weekend before and winning to sailing over big and technical jumps and courses to win the eventer trial, well, I cannot say how proud I am of Georgie! Those two have such a close bond and partnership that really shows. 
What a dream team!!

The rain cleared and we had a nice sunny Sunday so yesterday afternoon I spent some time schooling Erik and am pleased to say he went beautifully and we even had a pop over some little fences! G gave Frankie a little lesson at the same time which was great experience for Erik to realise he has to work around other horses and concentrate and not rush off and try and always be in front. 
A lovely weekend, albeit soggy, before I jet off for a week in the sun! 

Erik will be expertly looked after by Pinks Pet Sitters and my wonderful Mummy!  

I look forward to continuing our training when I get back and hopefully have my new jump saddle back from being repaired so I can get jumping and hopefully/maybe do some jumping competitions with Erik. 

I'm off to go and pack for my holiday

S x





No comments:

Post a Comment