Monday 1 October 2018

Bucket List, Equine Style!

Bucket List
noun
informal
  1. a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime.

I personally think it's really important to have a 'bucket list' and think each person should have one! It's a list of things, events, places and experiences you'd like to achieve before you die. I've done a few of mine that I've always wanted to do.

One was going to Cheltenham Festival for example; I had never been to a 'big' jumps meeting and I don't really know why; adult life getting in the way I guess but I can subconsciously tick this one off! So it got me thinking of coming up with an equine bucket list. Here are my ideas and aims!

1) Personally I'd love to ride a high level dressage school master so I can experience what it's like to do two time changes, piaffe, passage and feel like Charlotte for just a little while. While I'm not really a 'dressage person' I think this would be absolutely amazing.

2) Something I haven't done since I was a kid was take a horse to the seaside and canter along the beach, but something I think would be even more amazing would be swimming with a horse in the sea. That trust with a horse who would no doubt feel quite vunerable in the water, trusting you to come with it for a swim, amazing!


3) Going on a horse back saffari; recently a friend of mine did this and said it was absolutely amazing. Seeing wild savanna animals from a safe distance while sharing that experience with a equine steed much be awesome! This is a must do!
Plus maybe even other horsey holidays as well! 

4) Dress up in full side saddle attire and have a go looking regal AF! I happen to follow quite a few very dashing side saddle ladies since the revival of this wonderful tradition and I always think they look incredible. I mean why wouldn't you like to have a go at looking like Lady Mary from Downton! 

 Ps Yes I know the length of this habbit makes some ladies eye twitch but she looks amazing! 


5) Have a cross country lesson with a top event rider; Now this will probably be one of those things a little harder for me to achieve seeing as I don't know my own horse but when I do this is something I'd definitely like to do. Learning the way to get my 'eye in' to a fence and getting the rust off me would be amazing! I know I can do it, just need a great horse and I'd be set!

6) Going hunting with a proper 'thruster'. Yes, I already sometimes go hunting but I'd love to get a hireling of an absolutely legend of a hunting horse that will jump basically whatever you point it at and fly over a hedge bigger than a car would like an amazing adrenaline rush and something I'd love to do. Might just have to get a bit more of my bottle back first!

7) Go trail riding in Canada. Now this is quite similar to number 3 but some who have known me for some time will know I live in the mountains of Canada a good few years ago now and while they're absolutely breath taking in the snow for skiing i'd love to go in summer time and trail rider along these mountains and see them from a different perspective of being on board a horse. Taking it at a nice leisurely pace, maybe even heard some cattle. Heaven! 

8) On the subject of Canada... while I lived there I was in Alberta and had to leave before the Calgary Stampede came to town and it's something I've wanted to go to ever since. I had a friend in Canada who's brother was an ex Bullrider and on TV I'd often watch professional bull riding and think that the people who do it are absolutely crazy but it's a good fun thing to watch. Plus i'd like to see the equine aspect of the stampede with the cowboys roping cows etc. Anyone want to come with me?!

9) Talking of Hunting, I'd love to have a go at jumping some drains in Ireland. Now, some of you will likely have seen some pretty hairy videos of horse and rider jumping some mega drains in Ireland so I'd possibly need a good irish tipple to give me some dutch courage but I think this would be fun! 

10) Being a polo fan i'd love to one day go and watch the snow polo! It's hard on grass, let alone snow! Plus it's brings the glamorous aspects of polo with the Apres vibes of skiing. Eyeing up one of those Cartier rugs!  


11) While it's something I am not experienced in but do enjoy watching it's classical dressage, so I would like to visit the Spanish Riding School and watch these amazing rider and horse combinations!

12) Do a stunt riding course! While it's something I've never touched on on my blog I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and really appreciate the ridden stunts involved in it so I'd love to spend a day learning to shoot an arrow from a horse, perhaps learn to joust! Lucky there is a course not too far from me, maybe I should book a course!






These are just a few of the main things I'd like to do in my 'equestrian life' away from work and other commitments. There are definitely a few more and if I succeed in them i'll be sure to post about them here!

Got any ideas on things to add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment