Monday 1 October 2018

4 Week Wonderings

So I’ve had the lovely Erik for 4 weeks today! How time flies when you’re having fun.

He’s coming along incredibly and I am so happy to see hard work and good food pay off. He’s ever so happy and has settled in to his routine and work with absolutely no trouble at all. I have been about 10 to 15 minutes late to the yard on a couple of weekend mornings which I’ve found it extra hard to get up and he’s promptly whinned and stomped to remind me of being late so he knows his routine off by heart it would seem!


We still haven’t had any rain for weeks and as such the ground is so so hard so I’ve had to take his hacking very slowly and do mainly walk work and the odd trot on nice loose soil that hasn’t become solid like concrete. I am gagging to take him for a little canter up a hill, I can’t wait!
I took a photo a few weeks ago of the ford on our rider when it had a good 4 inches of water in and now sadly it’s bone dry. Come on mother nature, rain and rain hard dammit! I wouldn’t even mind getting rained on out riding if it meant we had a deluge for a few days!

I’ve pencilled in some dates in my diary for when I’d ideally like to take him out to and they’re small goals to work up to! I am wanting to take him to both Gransden and Wayland Shows but if I don’t see a judge change at Wayland I won’t be taking him. I’ve already treated him to a new Havana brown show bridle which is on it’s way, can’t wait to try it on!
Talking of showing, his schooling has been amazing. Turns out I am so so rusty at schooling. I mean, I knew that but it’s even worse than I thought. Mum gave me a lesson last week and absolutely grilled me! Chantal has already been over too this weekend and put him through his paces; we definitely have a lot to work on and I’ll be having her over to give me some lessons and help me progress soon!

I read this wonderful article by Horse & Rider magazine about ‘creating the perfect partnership with a new horse’ and was pleased to read that I’d been doing all the right things and that we’re forming a wonderful bond and taking it all slowly. I am yet to jump him but can't wait til I can pop a small jump on him.

Erik’s owner is coming to see him this Friday so I am looking forward to her seeing his progress and where he lives and be reassured he’s in a happy loan home with me. He lives like a prince!
Sadly with the very hot weather set to continue, at least for this week, it looks like no rain is forcast so still schooling and walking hacks I guess!

Talking of jumping, I am on the hunt for a 18 inch medium wide brown jump saddle if anyone has one that's not too pricey? Am I looking for a miracle, maybe!

Here are some photos of the last few weeks!

Keep an eye for more reports of our progress together.

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment