Monday 1 October 2018

A Lot To Learn From

I debated writing and posting this blog after my one from earlier this week where I gushed about what great progress we were making and how excited I was to compete this bank holiday weekend but that all crumbled away pretty quickly. So here is what happened..


We got to the show pretty early as when we went last year there weren't that many competitors and we were done by lunch time! We left at 8am after a super early start to muck out and plait up before we left so we arrived just before 9am when the show was due to begin and got ready pretty quickly as Frankie was due in the ring in the 5th or so class and I needed Erik to stay with them as they needed to not be distracted. It's safe to say they had a lot more entries this year (which is great, really) but it meant we had hours of waiting before I got in the ring which I don't think helped in the long run; it did help Erik to become accustomed a bit to the busy show and the loud displays blaring over the tannoy I guess but maybe I am just thinking of excuses in my head?


Any way, Erik warmed up pretty well and Georgie was there to give me some pointers and I was positive about going in to the ring for the ridden hunter class. Well that all went a bit Pete Tong (wrong) as in my nerves I did let myself down a bit and have my reins just that little bit too long and got a bit rushed in the go round which meant Erik started leaning and getting strong, which in turn tips me forward and I end up leaning forward and not sitting deep but thought I could maybe I could do a decent show and not do too bad. Well that didn't really go to plan either and it seems I didn't do a good show and we ended up coming second last. I was a little deflated as the judge said he was the epitome of a hunter but determined to do better the next time I can out, chin up and carried on.

I came out the ring and instead if letting Erik stand about I kept him walking and lightly working, I then warmed him in again and went in to the my second and final class with more determination. It seemed to pay off as Georgie said my go round this time was a bit better and Erik looked pretty good. We pulled in in any order again and I waited for my turn; I came out to do my show again but it seemed that it still wasn't good because I was pulled in last. 

 It 'had some nice parts' apparently so it wasn't all awful as you can see above

Now I'd be lying if I said I wasn't devastated by that, I've worked sooooo hard with Erik to try and improve but it seems we are a little back to square one.. He is very resistant to what I ask and still leaning on the bit and getting strong so I've decided that's it.. No more shows this season and I am going to spend my money that I would have spent on my final show (no Gransden for me this year) on lessons instead! I have got to work on and break this leaning on me business and having him work himself and carry himself instead of being lazy because he can do it, he does hold himself on the pessoa and he works beautifully at home. Honestly, at times this weekend it felt like my horse was 'Kevin' from Kevin & Perry (Harry Enfield sketch if you remember it) who just thinks "God this is so unfair, I hate you!" and just does the bear minimum of effort.

To say I wasn't disappointed would be a lie but I am very determined to get there, and I will, hopefully, one day win a red rosette with this lad. Because I deserve it, he deserves it! I walk round at these competitions and I can hear people pointing and looking at him saying how smart and gorgeous he is and them saying 'I want that one to win' and then we come last and my heart breaks a little bit!  I suppose at the moment I am the 'All The Gear, No Idea' type but I'll endeavour to do better and be a better rider! 
I've already spoken to a coach to have some lessons with and we've made a plan! Erik, I'll have you doing this if it's the last thing I do!

He is going to have a night off tonight and this week do some light hacking and hopefully this coming weekend we can have a bit of fun at the Newmarket sponsored ride. 20 miles here we come!

I shall not be defeated,
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment