Monday 1 October 2018

Riding For Macmillan

To say I wasn't a little muscle sore would be a lie.. cause I am stiff in my bum and thighs but that is to be expected after riding 20 miles for 4 hours straight right?!
Why did I ride for 4 hours you ask, well... each year Newmarket town hosts a sponsored ride in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support in which riders pay a small fee and raise sponsorship money to ride either 8, 15 or 20 miles from one end of Newmarket and back while walking in various areas that are usually only used by trainers and riding staff to exercise in training race horses. 

I've always wanted to do this ride, for years in fact and had never been able to beg, borrow or steal a horse to do it on so when I got Erik I said to Georgie it was one of my goals to do and I am so proud to have done it. Erik and I did all 20 miles, in the wonderful company of Georgie on Beanie, our long time friend Emma on her horse Mav and our other wonderful friend Hanako on Jerry. The horses were all fit and ready to go when we arrived early on Sunday morning, a bright beautiful day and having an early time we were one of the first to go!

By this point we were nearing the top of the Rowley Mile drive and Hamiliton Road and I found it very interesting to walk along the backs of the yard, as I drive down Hamilton Road every day but only see the front of the yards! We crossed over Hamilton Road along the horse walks and was really amazing to me to see Newmarket in a completely different way, as I had never walked along them before. We were soon in the centre of Newmarket and again crossing roads and up horse walks til we were at the Severals trotting rings! At this point we were about 7 to 8miles in at this point and it was awesome making our way round on the lovely springy rubber horse walks til at least we were at the bottom of Long Hill. I had been here a couple of times and always on foot, so to have another canter up the side of Warren Hill gallops sure was fun. For a big horse Erik can motor and we took along the GoPro to get some footage, which I will edit ASAP!









 Before long we were about half way round and at the top of the hills in Newmarket and my goodness the stunning views. What I'd do to live in the houses at the top and wake up to those views every day, absolutely stunning!
We bumped in to a couple of people we know so as we ambled along we nattered away and caught up while we could, before they peeled off to do the shorter 15 mile ride while we soldered on and made our way all the way out to the train tracks and along before we crossed over and were at the bottom of the Al Bahathri all weather gallops. 
This is an area I'd driven passed but had never been to before and it was awesome, we decided to have a decent speed canter up the gallops and Erik was determined to keep up with his pal B, but when G asked for more B soon eased in to gallop and was away but I am super proud of E, he cantered and a great pace for 9 furlongs, what a good egg!

Despite my water bottle saddle pack and home made saddle bag with a choccy bar in for everyone in our group, I was pleased to see the water and rest stop at the bottom of the gallops. G kindly jumped off and hosed the horses mouths with water as they weren't overly keen with drinking from a trough and we were given a nice pint of squash to refresh us! 
Now for another experience I was excited about, and that was walking down Bury Road horse walk, passed the wonderful Bedford Lodge and the other wonderful yards of Newmarkets top trainers! The traffic smiled and waved as we walked passed and we nattered away now on the home stretch! We retraced our steps where we'd come before and were soon at the top of Rowley Drive and on the final straight of the ride. Others decided to canter home, but with 19 miles under our belts on a warm/hot day we decided to trot home but E decided by this point he was keen to canter home with the rest and I had to hold on to him while he refused to trot/walk and found cantering on the spot or near on the spot much more impressive.. 
He soon tired and all of us sauntered back to the trainer for a well earned burger but not before washing the horses off first, they were very itchy indeed!

I had such a wonderful day and I am so pleased with how Erik coped and same with B, it can't be easy walking all our old haunts from when he was in training without getting excited but he was a total dude!
I raised £180 in total and Georgie just under that at £160 so we're so pleased with our efforts and thank you from the bottom of our hearts to everyone who sponsored us!
The horses are now having a few days off to rest and recoup before a walk out later this week!

Now, what to get up to this weekend.... we shall see

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment